Voting

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"HALLOWEEN"

My children will not be celebrating October 31st the way the world celebrates, but they will still have a lot of fun. We will be going to our church for their annual "Give God the Glory Night". I'm not sure how many years they've been doing this, but just to give you an idea, I used to go when I was a kid! Members of the church donate bags of wrapped candy so all the kids who participate will go home with a great big bag. (Thank God for toothpaste, toothbrushes and dentists!!!) There will be a moonbounce among many other fun activites for the kids. There will also be a time of Bible teaching. My Mom, who will have Alexa at home, will be handing out Gospel tracts along with candy to the "trick-or-treaters" who come to the door.

We live in an evil world and Halloween just seems to be the epitomy of all evilness. The devil wants us to live in fear. What seems to be an innocent holiday for kids is really a night the devil enjoys far too much. There are still cults in this world that practice human sacrifice on this night - usually children. I know that's going to the extreme, but think about the costumes kids wear - devils, ghosts, witches, demons, dracula, monsters, even masked murderers. I refuse to teach my kids that this is okay. God wants us to live in fear of Him, not the devil. The psalmist said, "I will fear no evil: for thou [the Lord] art with me." (Psalm 23:4) It is my hope and prayer that I and my children will give God the glory and not give place to the devil.

If you are looking for ideas for an alternative to Halloween, please visit my friend Amy's blog:
http://thesikorskifamily.blogspot.com/ (Post October 20, 2008)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should check out Storybox. They are great for Kids aged 3-6 and have a drawing competition on this month in association with Sesame Street!